UBA Webinar Series: ERISA Considerations for Church, Government, and Municipal Employers
July 11, 2017 2:00 EST - July 11, 2017 3:00 ESTThis webinar will cover how to determine if an employer fits ERISA’s church, government, or municipal exemption. We will:
- Briefly discuss which employers are subject to ERISA
- Describe the ERISA exemptions
- Discuss the considerations for group health plans that meet the exemptions
- Discuss the impact of referencing ERISA or meeting ERISA obligations when the plan is exempt from ERISA
- Discuss recent Supreme Court cases involving ERISA and church plans This 60-minute intermediate level webinar will help employers understand whether their group health plan fits within an ERISA exemption.
PRESENTER Jeff Smith is a partner in the Cleveland office of Fisher Phillips and a member of the firm’s Employee Benefits Practice Group. He works with clients to create, implement and maintain their retirement and health plans.
He also advises employers on the impact of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), as well as Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements (MEWAs) and Voluntary Employer Beneficiary Associations (VEBAs).
While in law school, Jeff served as Executive Notes Editor and earlier as Associate Editor of the Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine. He has been selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Star three times. He was also listed in Best Lawyers in 2017.
This webinar event has been submitted to the Human Resource Certification Institute and the Society for Human Resource Management to qualify for 1 recertification credit hour.
Contact your HRPro/BenePro account manager for a reduced or free code.