What Employers Need to Know about HIPAA and HITECH
April 11, 2017 2:00 p.m. EST - April 11, 2017 3:00 p.m. EST
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), its administrative simplification regulations, and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) provide administrative, privacy, and security standards for health plans and their business associates. The extent to which HIPAA applies to a health plan depends on the health plan’s structure. This webinar will help plan sponsors understand their responsibilities under HIPAA and HITECH.
This webinar will:
- Review the basics of HIPAA and HITECH
- Explain key terms
- Discuss different types of health plans to which HIPAA may apply
- Discuss how HIPAA applies to fully-insured plans (that use either a hands-on approach or a hands-off approach)
- Discuss how HIPAA applies to self-funded plans
- Discuss how HIPAA applies when plan sponsors self-administer plans such as an FSA or HRA
- Discuss the consequences of violating HIPAA / HITECH
- Describe best practices in HIPAA / HITECH compliance
This 60-minute intermediate level webinar will help employers understand how HIPAA applies to a variety of plans.
Tabatha George is an associate in the New Orleans office of Fisher Phillips. She specializes in employee benefits, including retirement and welfare plans and healthcare reform. She has particular expertise in Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance, data breaches involving health information, and the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
HRPro/BenePro clients: Contact your HRPro/BenePro account manager for a free or reduced coupon code for this event.